Thursday, March 31, 2011

I'm an opportunist when I brush my teeth.

I don't know if I'll be up for a run today. Why? That rain I was whining about yesterday? Yeah, well, it's here today instead.

It actually held off any precipitation until after my run would have been concluded yesterday -- but no matter, I had something else really important to do during my lunch break (get my stuff ready for Dani's Duds - a giant consignment sale at the Dulles Expo Center this weekend).

I'll just run today. Right? It's rainy and cold. So we'll see.

Today, I'll share something else, in case I don't get to run. I'm trying to find ways to incorporate strength training exercises into my every day life -- finding time is nearly impossible with a full time job, 2 kids, and a hubby who works late a lot.

So I have started small. Every night, when I brush my teeth with my awesome toothbrush, I take the opportunity to use that time to multitask. And I do a wall squat. I'm very nearly able to do the full 2 minutes (my toothbrush has a timer built in!!!) after only about a week of doing this!

Tonight, while playing with the kids, I will try to do some push ups and maybe some other core exercises (esp. for my back!)

I wonder where else I can add in strength exercises. Maybe while doing dishes, I can bounce up and down on my tippy toes, or work on the shin-splints muscles by tapping my toes like I learned in Mommy Bootcamp from my favorite butt-kicking fierce bootcamp instructor, Jen. (also my prenatal pilates instructor).

I think incorporating this kind of stuff into every day moments will really help me in the long run, since I can't dedicate an hour or two every other day to just strength training exercises.

Any other ideas out there or tricks you use to add more exercises when you're doing your every day stuff? I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

  1. Do random squats around the house, and random walking lunges. Also incorporate stretches in! Instead of bending over, do a squat all the way down and back up. Or bend over with your legs totally straight for a good stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to steal your wall sit idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mary! I love the ideas! Last night I held my wall squat the entire two minutes, btw!!!

    ReplyDelete