Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Run on 3/28/2011

Yesterday's run was 3.38 miles. It lasted 37:05 minutes. The pace was 10:57 min/mile.
MapMyRun

It felt good. The first half mile ALWAYS sucks. I usually think I'm just going to turn the corner and head home. But I normally just turn and run farther away from home and tell myself "just a few more minutes, it's not so bad." It was cold yesterday. The wind was biting.

During the run, I thought I was going faster than the past few runs, but still kept my heart rate in my "zone." I use a polar heart rate monitor (in pink! of course!) and it's really helped me train. Instead of running until I can't run anymore, then walking, I've been running, then when my heart rate gets too high, the monitor beeps non stop at me until I slow my heart rate down. I slow it down by slowing down my pace and concentrating on my breathing. Since I started training this way, the first day was the only day I had to start walking to slow my heart rate all the way down. I've learned to pace myself and when I am trying to go too hard or fast, I have really learned how to slow down and get myself in check. Consequently, I'm running slightly faster and slightly further with each run.

Funny to think that just a few weeks ago, the thought of running 3 miles in a row seemed impossible. Yesterday was my "easy run" and it was 3.38 miles, which didn't seem bad at all. I was trying to make the run similar to my run from last Thursday, only faster (See here) but when I got to a certain point, I suddenly decided to try a new path. Only this path was about to go through the woods and I saw that it was swampy. So I said "No thanks" and had to back track a little. That's where I got the extra .7 miles in, by mistake.

So at the end of the run, if I didn't have time constraints (during the week I run during my lunch break, which means I have an hour to get ready, then run, then stretch out after. Forget the shower - I have to sit in my sweat the rest of my work day. ew), so if i didn't have time constraints, I probably was good for at least another half mile or more!

Let's see what Wednesday brings us! I'm hoping that it's less swampy where I want to run (but doubt it) because that's the end of my run and the last mile has now become incredibly boring to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment